Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Vision Statement

Having never written a "vision statement" before, I must first warn that I write this rather self-consciously with the worry that it may lack somewhat in vision and abound moreso in general blurriness. Here goes:

I suppose what stood out most for me in today's reading was the idea that the Internet, with its interactive and public format and its potentially egalitarian structure, can and should be appropriated by feminists in order to empower new, diverse and, perhaps, radical, feminist ways of knowing. In addition, it seems hard to miss the fact that text is a powerful medium with the authority to define and legitimize "ways of knowing" and the identities that may produce or follow from such epistemological standpoints. Following from these ideas, I suppose the purpose of my blog is to attempt to write into being my own feminist identity. I hope to bring a degree of authority and legitimacy to my feminism by way of engaging in a textual conversation with other feminisms online.

At the same time, by engaging and responding to links and comments, I hope to connect with the idea that this textual "me" cannot and will not be stable, and to track the changeability of "me". I guess, ultimately, I hope to engage with the idea that texts, and the other online feminisms I will encounter through classmates' blogs, work to produce me as a particular kind of subject/subjectivity and, likewise, my textual self works to produce other individuals' subjectivities. I hope to explore how exactly this process works. (Did that make sense to anyone other than me?)

Does anyone else note a glarring contradiction there? I do, and while I would rather ignore it, I suppose I should engage it by also attempting to explore the tension I feel between my desire to authorize a strong, solid identity through text and the apparent reality that that identity can never be stable.

So, yeah. I bet next week I'm gonna look back at this and be, like, "what the hell was that textual me thinking?"

3 comments:

John said...

I like your final point. I think the instability and ambiguity of your feminist standpoint should be maintained on the internet. It seemed to me that in the Rhodes article, there was an acknowledgement of an inherent contradiction in having a women's-only space on the internet. Sticking to a single community is useful insofar as it allows for valuable interactions within that isolated community. However, a cyber world outside of a women's-only space still exists. Thus, maintaining the instability/ambiguity of a feminist standpoint might allow one to better access other areas of the internet that might be irrelevant to certain standpoints. Meaning that certain WWW environments might call for more diverse standpoints.

Jaime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

I hope you don’t look back and question your textual self! I think you have articulated a major tension at work in all online discourse. The use of blogs, forums, and discussion groups online have brought under scrutiny the authority and integrity of the written word through the very tension you speak of: we desire to have our discourses be strong and solid, but the medium of the internet demands that we be flexible. I think that if this medium allows you to explore the authority and trustworthiness of your understanding of yourself, you have taken the tension one awesome step forward! Then again, maybe I am just in a feverish state over all the possibilities of this blogging project, and will also look back in a week and find myself questioning my textual self too.